Super-fluffy, tall, yet moist pumpkin pancakes. Yes, you can have it all in a pumpkin pancake recipe!
PREP: 10 MINUTES COOK: 10 MINUTES TOTAL: 20 MINUTES
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons vinegar + enough whole milk, 2% milk, or unsweetened almond milk to equal 2 cups)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly + more for cooking, if desired (can sub vegan butter or coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice blend*
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or table salt
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
- To a large bowl, add the buttermilk. If using the vinegar plus milk option, let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to turn to buttermilk.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and mix just until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Let batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick griddle to 325 degrees or set large frying pan over medium heat. Melt a little butter on the cooking surface, spreading it evenly, if desired (if the surface is non-stick, you may not need to do this). Using a 1/3 cup measure, pour the batter onto the griddle or into the frying pan. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and completely cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve topped with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
* Or you can substitute the following if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice blend on hand:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Substitute unsweetened almond milk for the milk. Substitute vegan butter or coconut oil for the butter.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Yield: About 12 5-inch pancakes, Serving Size: 3 (5-inch) pancakes Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526 Calories Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 131mg Sodium: 627mg Carbohydrates: 82g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 26g Protein: 15g